If you start or stop working, have any other change in your income or savings, or someone moves in or out of your household please tell the benefits team as soon as possible. This must be within one month of the change. 

If you are 25 and you are employed, from 1st April 2016 your employer must pay you the National Living Wage. You must let the benefits team know about the increase in your pay.

The sooner you let us know about the change, the sooner we can award the correct amount of Council Tax Support.

You can:

Your responsibility

It is your responsibility to tell us within a month, otherwise by law we can issue you with a:

  • £70 civil penalty if you do not tell us of any change that may affect your Council Tax Support
  • £50 civil penalty if you do not tell us of any change that may affect your Housing Benefit

To falsely claim Council Tax Support and/or Housing Benefit is a criminal offence and we may prosecute.

Why do I need to tell you about any changes in my circumstances?

If your circumstances change, it may lead to either an increase or a reduction in your Council Tax Support. Please tell us within one month of the change to make sure that any increase in your entitlement is paid from the date that the change happened.

For example, if your income goes down and you do not let us know within one calendar month of this happening, you may not get the additional Council Tax Support due from the date of the change. Unless there is a good reason for failing to tell us of your change in circumstances, your Council Tax Support will only be increased from the Monday following the date that you do let us know.

A change in your circumstances could also result in a reduction to your Council Tax Support entitlement. If you do not tell us promptly, and we find out later that we have paid you too much, you will normally have to pay it back to us. This is called an overpayment. The reduction will go back to date of the actual change, not to the date we found out about it. So, to avoid a large bill later, please tell us about any changes in circumstances as soon as they happen.

What happens after I have told you about a change?

We will write to you and tell you whether, and by how much, the change has affected your Council Tax Support. If we have not written to you within two weeks of your telling us about a change, please contact us on 01395 517446.