You can get Council Tax Support for:
up to 4 weeks if you are
- on holiday outside of the UK
- please contact us if you go outside of the UK for more than 4 weeks.
up to 13 weeks if you are:
- doing voluntary work
- looking after a sick relative or friend
- a convicted prisoner
but you must intend to return home within 13 weeks and you must not sublet your home. You must let the benefit team know when you decide to return home.
up to 52 weeks if you are:
- in hospital
- in fear of violence
- receiving respite care in a residential care home (see below)
- in custody/on remand (as soon as you are sentenced you will be assessed under the 13 week rules)
but you must intend to return home and you must not sublet your home. You must let the benefit team when you decide to return home.
Residential care homes
If you are in residential care on a trial basis to assess whether it is the right accommodation for you, you can continue to get your Housing Benefit for up to 13 weeks, so long as you intend to return home if the accommodation proves not to be suitable for you.
If you know you are going to be away from home, including starting a trial basis, please remember to tell the benefits team straightaway
- the reason why you will be away
- how long you will be away for
- if you intend to return to your home
- Phone 01395 571770
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the offices - the benefits team are at:
Exmouth Town Hall - Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm
Knowle, Sidmouth - Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5pm
Whilst you are way, please remember to tell us if
- you sublet your property
- If your circumstances change
- you decide not to return home.
We will stop paying you benefit from the Monday following the date you decide not to return home.