9. How to appeal an overpayment
If you think the amount of Housing Benefit is wrong and you want us to reconsider our decision or want to appeal against it, then you must do this within one calendar month of the date of the decision.
If we agree that the decision is wrong, we will change it and tell you. If the decision cannot be changed, we will write and tell you why. If you are still unhappy, you can appeal our decision. Your appeal will be heard by the HM Courts &Tribunals Service, who are independent of us. We will send you details of how to do this at the time.
You can ask us to look at our decision about:
- if we can recover the overpayment or not
- who we can recover it from
- how we have worked it out
- if your savings and investments have reduced (only if we overpaid you because your savings and investments had increased)
- if you had an underlying entitlement (you were actually entitled to receive some of the overpayment)
You can't ask us to look at:
- if we should recover the overpayment or not
- how we choose to recover the overpayment