Please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button.
- If you pay rent to a landlord who is also a close relative* and you do not live in the same property then you may be able to claim Housing Benefit.
- If you pay rent to a landlord who is also a close relative* and you live in the same property then you will not be able to claim Housing Benefit.
* close relative is a parent, step-parent or parent-in-law; a brother or sister; a son, son-in-law, daughter, daughter-in-law, stepson, stepdaughter or partner of any of these.
We will need to ensure that the tenancy meets all the criteria of a fully commercial arrangement and will need more details in support of your claim.
Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of processing your Housing Benefit and/or in the administration of Council Tax.
- Your information may be provided to a third party acting on our behalf in processing your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax.
- Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.
- Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.
There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant Privacy Notice which can be accessed at eastdevon.gov.uk/privacy.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- postcode of the property you wish to claim Housing Benefit for
- amount of rent payable
- landlord's bank account details
- evidence of rent payments
We aim to make a decision within 14 days of you giving us all the information we need.
If evidence is needed, please supply this as quickly as possible. We will write or email to confirm what we require.
You can now email your evidence to email@example.com. We can accept scanned images or photographs of your evidence.
The quicker you provide the information, the quicker we can make a decision.
You have to complete this form online. There are no paper forms.
If you don't have a computer, there’s access to the web in lots of places.