- If you are from one of the countries listed below* you can claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support unless the Home Office say that you are to leave the UK, or if you are not judged to be habitually resident
The Habitual Residency Test is a test based on how long you have lived in the UK and your future plans.
*Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland & United Kingdom (UK).
- EEA nationals who are awarded Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) on or after 1 April 2014 cannot claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support unless the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) consider them to have retained 'worker status'. Worker status is unlikely to last more than six months after which time Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support will end.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- Details of any work you have done during the last 2 years
- Details of any property you own in the UK or abroad
- Evidence of any substantial purchases you have made since arriving in the UK
We aim to make a decision within 14 days of you giving us all the information we need.
If evidence is needed, please supply this as quickly as possible. We will write or email to confirm what we require.
You can now email your evidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can accept scanned images or photographs of your evidence.
The quicker you provide the information, the quicker we can make a decision.
You have to complete this form online. There are no paper forms.
If you don't have a computer, there’s access to the web in lots of places.