• If you are from one of the countries listed below* you can claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support unless the Home Office say that you are to leave the UK, or if you are not judged to be habitually resident

The Habitual Residency Test  is a test based on how long you have lived in the UK and your future plans.

*Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland & United Kingdom (UK).

  • EEA nationals who are awarded Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) on or after 1 April 2014 cannot claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support unless the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) consider them to have retained 'worker status'.  Worker status is unlikely to last more than six months after which time Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support will end.