East Devon District Council

Cookies information

eastdevon.gov.uk uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Guide Building control FAQ's

Show all parts of this guide

9. Do I need an application for internal alterations to my house

Yes, if the alterations are of a structural nature such as the removal or part removal of a load-bearing construction - for example, a wall, partition, joist, beam or chimney breast.

You also need approval if, in altering a house, work is necessary to maintain the means of escape in case of fire.

Please contact us on 01395 517482 for further advice.