Sadly, there are some occasions when someone dies in the district and there is no arrangements for their burial or cremation.

If no one is willing to accept the responsibility of making these arrangements, our environmental health service must do so according to the National Assistance Act 1948 and the Public Health (Control of Disease) Act 1948.

We always try to contact the next of kin in these situations and find out if they want to make arrangements for their relative. Legal responsibility for married couples rests with the spouse, and for children it rests with their parents.

We will only provide for a basic funeral and in normal circumstances this means cremation, unless we know that it was the wish of the person to be buried.

We attempt to recover the costs of administering the funeral and disposal of the estate. If any funds remain, they are paid to the Treasury Solicitor's office.