18. Why is using rock armour to protect the base of the cliff being ruled out?
Previous planning applications for such an intervention have been refused. Objections from multiple agencies including Natural England, the Environment Agency, the Jurassic Coast Team and the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty can be found in the most recent planning application.
Natural England's objections include:
- Incompatibility with the shoreline management plan (SMP2) policy
- Likely to have an adverse impact on the Outstanding Universal Value of the World Heritage Site
- Insufficient information was provided to consider the impacts on the Special Area of Conservation and Site of Special Scientific Interest, and the effects further along the coast
- Landscape impacts
- Insufficient consideration of alternative options