Have your say on our proposals for Exmouth and Sidmouth. For many years, there has been a Designated Public Place Order to control the consumption of alcohol at The Strand and Manor Gardens in Exmouth, and the Market Place and Esplanade in Sidmouth. We have to incorporate these existing orders into new Public Space Protection Orders (PSPOs). During this process, we are considering some changes. We want your thoughts on the new PSPOs and the changes.
Why are we doing this?
- New legislation requires us to do this by the end of 2017.
- We have been asked by the Exmouth policing team to introduce new requirements to tackle existing antisocial behaviour in Exmouth town centre.
Main changes proposed:
The requirements relating to alcohol, under the previous Designated Public Place Orders, will remain the same. However, there will be additional requirements to tackle the use of intoxicating substances and other antisocial behaviour:
- In Exmouth, the proposals relate to the possession of intoxicating substances (including alcohol), urination and defecation, aggressive begging and behaving in a way likely to cause harassment or intimidation. The proposal will also give police officers the power to disperse groups of people behaving in this way.
- In Sidmouth, the proposal will just relate to the possession of intoxicating substances (including alcohol).
- The police will be able to request the surrender of intoxicating substances, and will be able to ask groups of people to disperse if they are acting in an intimidating way. Fixed penalty notices can be issued to people not complying with the other requirements of the order.
We want to know what you think. We are also consulting Devon and Cornwall Police, District Councillors and Parish and Town Councils on the proposed PSPOs.
Please have a look at the Public Space Protection Order we have drafted:
If you need a paper copy of the consultation, or require it in any other format please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01395 517456.
How to have your say
If you wish to comment please email email@example.com or send comments by post to Environmental Health, East Devon District Council, Knowle, Sidmouth, Devon, EX10 8HL. All comments must be received by 13th March 2017.
Please note that all comments received may be published on our website and attributed to the person/organisation that submitted them, however, personal addresses, personal email addresses and personal phone numbers will be removed before publishing. By submitting your comments you are agreeing to your comments and information being used in this way.
Once the consultation period has ended we will consider the comments made and where appropriate will amend the proposals. The final orders will then be agreed by The Council with the intention that they will be in place before 1 May 2017.