What does the Cabinet do?
The cabinet makes operational decisions in accordance with council policy. It is here that key decisions are considered from the forward plan. The cabinet provides effective strategic leadership, ensures council policies are implemented and monitors service delivery.
The role of the cabinet is to:
- advise the council on financial and economic policy
- recommend the council tax level
- control the accounts
- prepare the community plan in partnership with other agencies
- submit an annual best value performance plan
- implement the code of corporate governance
- consider submissions from the overview committees
The full terms of reference of the cabinet are detailed in the constitution.
Provisional decisions made by the Cabinet are published in the members' weekly update email two days later. These decisions do not become effective until the following Thursday at 9am. This delay allows members of the Scrutiny committee to call in a decision.