9. How do I present my petition at a Council meeting?
Any type of petition can be presented by you at a council meeting although only those containing over 1500 signatures will actually be debated or discussed there. If you wish for your petition to be presented to a meeting of the Council you have the option of speaking at that meeting. You can speak in support of your petition for up to five minutes. To register to speak you must inform the Democratic Services Manager (by telephone 01395 517541 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org ) by 4.00 p.m. the day before the Council meeting.
At the meeting the Chairman will invite you to speak. When you make your speech you can only refer to matters relevant to the petition and must:
- not use discriminatory or offensive language;
- not make any party political statements;
- not use personal abuse; and
- treat others with courtesy and with respect.
If the Chairman considers that you have broken any of these requirements, appropriate action may be taken, including preventing you from speaking further.