1. Purpose of the policy
Bribery is a criminal offence. In summary Bribery is:
- an inducement or reward offered, promised or provided to
- gain personal, commercial, regulatory or contractual advantage.
In relation to bribery, our Council’s stance is:
- We do not, and will not, pay bribes or offer improper inducements to anyone for any purpose.
- We do not, and will not, accept bribes or improper inducements from anyone for any purpose.
- We do not, and will not, use a third party as a conduit to channel bribes or encourage bribery in any way.
We have a zero tolerance approach to bribery and are committed to its prevention, deterrence and detection. We aim to maintain anti-bribery compliance “business as usual”, rather than as a one-off exercise, and our approach applies to everybody who is involved with the work of this Council, including:
- Suppliers and partners
- Customers and residents who deal with the Council.