East Devon District Council

Cookies information

eastdevon.gov.uk uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Policy Safeguarding vulnerable adults policy

Show all parts of this policy

8. Action to be taken by employees if they feel that a vulnerable adult is at risk

  • In most working circumstances within the council it is possible that employees will not be in a position to assess whether or not a vulnerable adult is at risk. However, in certain areas, there is closer working with them (for example, housing support/ Home Safeguard) and it is possible that abuse or neglect may be suspected. In general terms employees should be alert to any suspicion of abuse or neglect, and raise concerns with their line manager. It is possible to get informal advice on whether a formal referral is required by contacting Devon County Council’s Care Direct Service 0345 1551 007.
  • The Safeguarding Devon website: www.devonsafeguarding.org is an excellent source of information aimed to advise and locate key points of contact if cases are suspected.
  • Members and line managers should liaise with Head of Housing (or in his absence the housing support services manager) if there is suspicion of neglect or abuse which is to be formally referred.  These officers have proper recording forms and points of communication (local assessment teams) and escalation procedures with social services and the police.   
  • We will normally use  head of service’s, name as the referrer although the housing support services manager is also a key point of contact in cases and can also refer cases to the safeguarding adult team when deemed appropriate.  Once referred we need to ensure that we get feedback on the actions taken. Reporting will be to the Care Direct Service 0345 1551 007 (duty officer in emergencies – 0845 6000 388)
  • If an employee or councillor suspects another employee or councillor of inappropriate behaviour towards a vulnerable adult, it should be reported immediately to the line manager (employees), chief executive and or deputy chief executive (councillors).  The council has ‘whistle blowing’ arrangements in place.