13. Priority four: Continuously improving to be an outstanding council
As well as delivering our day-to-day services, our focus is on achieving the following successful outcomes:
● A culture that promotes continuous improvement, innovation, commercial thinking and new ways of working.
● Improved digital services giving customers the opportunity to self serve where they want to.
● Services which are as good as they can be using systems thinking principles.
● Skilled, motivated and engaged workforce.
● Helpful policies and the right technology to support our new ways of working (known as ‘WorkSmart’).
● A council that prioritises keeping our residents informed.
Over the life of this Council Plan we will take the following actions to deliver these outcomes successfully:
● Implement the approved Strata Business Plan (a wholly-owned ICT company by East Devon, Exeter City and Teignbridge councils) in order to deliver savings, reduce risks and improve capability for IT-enabled change.
● Relocate to Honiton and Exmouth Town Hall and establish surgeries where necessary to meet identified demand for particular services.
● Continue to develop self service capability of our website so that customers can access services online if they wish to.
● Implement the technologies needed to support our new ways of working.
● Improve procurement and continue to identify opportunities to save money across Teignbridge, East Devon and Exeter City councils as well as through established frameworks nationally.
● Retain our Investor in People Award following reassessment.
● Increase membership of our corporate digital magazine.
Activities that keep us improving are:
● Asking our residents, stakeholders and partners for their views through our viewpoint surveys and other consultations.
● Encouraging and supporting tenant scrutiny of our housing services.
● Undertaking further tenant’s satisfaction surveys and benchmarking of performance with peers.
● Providing outstanding human resources, organisational development, legal and democratic services support so that front-facing services can deliver their objectives.
● Working together as one council team to deliver and support new ways of working.
● Legal department and democratic services will act as ‘critical friends’ in pursuit of the council’s transparency agenda.
● Delivering on the remaining actions identified in the council’s Procurement Strategy.
● Continued implementation of self service functionality for customers to access and update their records on Council Tax, business rates, housing benefits and Council Tax Support.
● Ensuring the services customers request from our customer service centre can be accessed online as a more convenient option if they wish.
● Delivering of accurate, timely and relevant financial information, monitored by the council and available to the public.
● We are a Gold Standard Investor in People and we will continue to work to maintain this standard so that we can recruit and retain the best people to deliver council services.