3. What happens to your complaint
The monitoring officer will, along with an independent person appointed by the council, assess the complaint by examining what sections of the code of conduct may have allegedly been breached.
Below is an explanation of what the monitoring officer trying to achieve at assessment stage:
- what is the action or behaviour being complained about?
- what aspect of the code is breached?
- what evidence is available to support the complaint?
- is there a straightforward way to resolve the complaint?
The monitoring officer will take into account:
- circumstances and severity of the events
- the view and comments of the independent person
- the attitude of both the complainant and the councillor and what potential there is for an informal resolution
You may find useful this councillor complaint flowchart for how a complaint is dealt with.