Council Tax is normally due on the 1st of each month starting in April and is spread over 10 or 12 months. Payment dates and amounts are on the front of Council Tax bills.
Direct Debit is the quickest and easiest way to pay - set it up now and at the same time you can choose to pay:
- 10 or 12 monthly, yearly or half-yearly
- on 1st, 17th or 25th day of the month
To change your Council Tax payment date:
- for non-Direct Debit payers, please complete the online form by clicking on the blue start button below. You can change the date as well as how often you pay.
- for Direct Debit payers, please complete a new Direct Debit instruction.
Please be aware that:
The bill must be paid within the financial year ending 31 March. For example, if you requested in early July to pay over twelve instalments, for the current financial year we would give you eight instalments (August to March) and for future years you would pay over twelve instalments.
- If you have received a reminder you need to pay this, as your request will only be applied to future instalments
- If we have issued a final demand you need to deal with this, as your request will only be applied from the next financial year
Please continue to pay the amounts shown on your current Council Tax bill until we send you a new bill with your new instalments. This form should not be used for previous years' charges.
Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of administering Council Tax.
- Your information may be provided to a third party acting on our behalf in administering Council Tax.
- Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes.
- Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary.
There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant Privacy Notice which can be accessed at eastdevon.gov.uk/privacy
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- Your Council Tax account number
- Your name
- The address of the property
If we are able to change your payment date/frequency we will send you confirmation by way of an amended bill.
We will contact you by email, phone or letter if we are unable to change the payment date/frequency.
You have to apply online. There are no paper forms.
If you don't have a computer, there’s access to the web in lots of places.