East Devon District Council

Cookies information

eastdevon.gov.uk uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Guide Elections

Show all parts of this guide

11. By-Elections

If a councillor leaves their seat during the course of their term, a casual vacancy occurs. This could be due to the resignation of a councillor, the passing away of a councillor, the disqualification (or ceasing to be qualified) of a councillor, or a failure to take up office.

When a councillor's seat becomes vacant the Town/Parish clerk will notify East Devon District Council. The clerk will display a 'notice of a casual vacancy' in the parish area. The notice explains that a by-election can be called by a request made in writing to the District Council's proper officer by 10 electors from the parish area, within 14 working days of the date of the notice. If a by-election is called it must be held within 60 days of the notice. 

Form to request a by-election to fill a casual vacancy