You will need a licence if you want to sell animals as pets.

Pets can be sold in shops, but also from some homes and other business premises.

You can't sell animals as pets in public places - for example, from a market stall.


You won't be given a licence if you’ve committed any animal health or welfare offences, or if you’ve been banned from:

  • running a riding establishment
  • running a pet shop
  • keeping animals, including in a boarding kennel or cattery

How to apply

If you want to sell pets you will need to apply for a pet sales licence.  Contact the environmental health team by phone, 01395 571517, or email  If renewing a licence you must give at least 3 months notice.


Before you get a licence your premises will be inspected by an environmental health officer.

Before we can give you a licence you'll need to show us that:

  • you are qualified to keep animals
  • the accommodation will be suitable for the animals
  • you’ll provide enough food and drink and visit the animals regularly where necessary
  • you’ll take reasonable precautions to prevent the spread of infectious diseases
  • mammals won’t be sold if they’re too young
  • you have appropriate plans in case of fire or other emergencies

You'll also need to keep a register with the description of any animal received on the premises, it's age and sex, when you received it, when you sold it and where it came from. This register must be available for us or our vet to see during any visit.

You must not sell any animals to children under the age of 12.

We can refuse to give you a licence if we don't feel the conditions for the animals are right. We may ask for additional conditions if we think the welfare of the animals or the safety of the public require them.

Renewing your licence

Each licence maybe valid for one to three years, depending on the standard.  You will need to apply to renew your licence at least 3 months before expiry if you want to keep running the business.

Changing your licence

You will need to let us know if you want to make changes to your licence.

Displaying your licence

You must display your licence or a copy of it at your premises so that it can be read by customers or inspectors.


If you have a complaint or enquiry about a licensed premises for animals please let the environmental health team know.  Contact the environmental health team by phone, 01395 571517, or email

Public register

There is a list of premises currently licensed which is updated here every month, or to find out more information contact Environmental Health on 01395 571517.