Alcohol can have a positive impact on some people’s lives through increased socialisation and relaxation.
But this isn’t the case for everyone. Did you know… Drinking a bit less can help improve sleep, mood, energy and weight. There are lots of benefits to drinking wisely. Cut back on alcohol and feel a bit better every day – it's easier than you think.
Lots of support is available – choose which is right for you:
Devon’s One Small Step service gives information on drinking guidelines, suggests easy changes to make, ways to boost your motivation, self-help tools and one-to-one support when needed.
Drink Wise, Age Well helps people make healthier choices about alcohol as they age. Their website provides resources and support for families, employers and professionals. They explain the common myths about drinking, how you can benefit from drinking wisely, how to know if you are drinking too much, and how to cut down on drinking.
If you live in Devon and are over 50 Drink Wise, Age Well in Devon can offer:
- free, confidential support and advice for you, your family or anyone concerned about how alcohol is affecting them
- advice and support in your community, including visits in your home
- free local activities and social opportunities to meet new people, or develop skills
- free training on starting the conversation, recognising and responding and alcohol’s impact as we age
- free alcohol awareness sessions for local organisations and employers.
One You is a national service which outlines the health risks of alcohol and suggests easy ideas to cut down. It offers advice, information, apps and tools to help.
For additional information, NHS Choices gives detailed alcohol facts, advice and support.
MEDICAL WARNING: seek professional medical advice - it can be dangerous to stop drinking too quickly without proper support.