We deal with complaints about:
- Food containing foreign bodies, for example, insects, metal or glass
- Food that is mouldy
- Food sold past its use by date
- Food that is contaminated or unfit to eat
- Dirty premises
- Unhygienic practices
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- Details of your complaint.
- The name and address of the food business.
- Your contact details.
If you have any of the food:
- freeze it in a clean freezer bag if it is likely to deteriorate before it can be collected.
- any wrapping associated with the food
- any bill or receipt for the food
Once we have collected the relevant information, we use national and local guidance on food safety to decide what action to take. We may refer your complaint to another authority to investigate if the food was purchased or produced outside our area, or should be dealt with by another agency such as Trading Standards Departments or the Food Standards Agency.
In many cases the action taken will be informal. We will only give your details, i.e. name, address, etc. to the food business concerned if you ask us too. If we decide to deal with matters in a formal manner and take legal action, you will be asked to produce a statement and we may need further details.
It may take several weeks to collect all the necessary evidence and decide what action is appropriate. We will tell you what the outcome of the investigation is, usually in writing.
Can I get compensation?
We do not discuss compensation on your behalf, this is a matter between you and the retailer.
You can telephone, email, visit or write to the office to make your complaint.