The Community Building Fund - an introduction
Each year we allocate a sum of money to be given in grants for community buildings in villages. Always ensure you have the most up to date version of the guidance notes and application form before applying to us.
Who can apply?
- This grants scheme is open to all multi-use community buildings within Parish Council areas covered by East Devon District Council. Community shops in Parish Council areas can also apply.
- Community buildings and community shops that are within an area covered by a Town Council are not eligible to apply. So if your community building or community shop is in an area covered by Budleigh Salterton Town Council, Exmouth Town Council, Ottery St Mary Town Council, Axminster Town Council, Seaton Town Council, Honiton Town Council, Sidmouth Town Council you cannot apply.
- Community buildings must be multi-use (minimum of three separate user groups), with open community access, and owned and / or managed by the community.
- You must have permission from all the relevant bodies to carry out the project before you apply. For example, if the Parish Council owns the building then you must have their permission before you apply.
How much can you apply for?
Grants are available of between £1,500 and £5,000, but we will only contribute up to third of total project costs. Total project costs cannot exceed £750,000.
Match funding should make up third of the total project costs, this should include a contribution from your Parish Council.
We pay grants upon receipt of valid invoices and receipts. If the organisation paying for the project is VAT registered so is able to claim back VAT, you must only claim for the net amount (total amount minus VAT).
What projects are eligible for a grant?
Grants are available for capital projects only (not to help with running costs, routine repair or maintenance).
What we will fund
- provide a new/ replacement building
- serious structural defects, for example, roof and walls
- adaptation of a building for disabled access
- kitchen refits
- modernising/ improving outdated facilities
- environmental/ green projects for example, solar panels, ground source heating, wind turbines
What we won't fund
- single use buildings for example, sport club or church
- new curtains or carpets
- ground works
- removable items such as kitchen appliances, crockery, chairs and tables
- community buildings outside of our boundary
- community buildings in Town Council areas
When to apply?
Closing dates for applications are Friday 29 July 2016 and Friday 25 November 2016 (please bear in mind that there is only limited funding available so if all is granted in July there will be no funding available in November). Any applications received after the deadline will be deferred until the next round. Once the deadline is reached there is a critical timescale, so incomplete applications will not be assessed and will be returned to the applicant.
Please ensure that your match funding is in place before applying to us. As a general rule this grants scheme operates as a final funder. Please be aware that other organisations and authorities may have different timescales for their grants schemes.
How to apply?
- Read through all of the guidance notes to ensure your application is eligible. Early contact with us will ensure feedback for your application.
- Fill in the application form using the guidance notes to complete the questions. Make sure to attach all the documents specified in the application form otherwise your application will be returned to you as incomplete.
- Submit your application before the deadline. Do not leave applying until the last minute.
How will we assess your application?
Once the deadline has passed all applications undergo an eligibility check. If we find that your application is incomplete we will not proceed any further. This could include an incomplete form, missing documentation or ineligibility against our criteria of match funding.
Once your application has passed its eligibility check, all eligible application forms will be presented to the our community fund panel of councillors for decision.
The whole process takes approximately 10 weeks. You will be notified in writing whether your application has been successful or not. Successful applicants will receive a grant offer letter and form which must be completed within three months to secure the grant.