The Community Building Fund - an introduction
Each year we allocate a sum of money to be given in grants for community buildings in villages. Always ensure you have the most up to date version of the guidance notes and application form before applying to us.
Recently several applications have been sent in without quotations. You must send a minimum of three quotations for your project with your application form, or have a good reason why three written quotes are not possible. If you don't, your application will be returned to you as incomplete and will not be assessed.
Who can apply?
- This grants scheme is open to all multi-use community buildings within Parish Council areas covered by East Devon District Council. Community shops in Parish Council areas can also apply.
- Community buildings and community shops that are within an area covered by a Town Council are not eligible to apply. So if your community building or community shop is in an area covered by Budleigh Salterton Town Council, Exmouth Town Council, Ottery St Mary Town Council, Axminster Town Council, Seaton Town Council, Honiton Town Council, Sidmouth Town Council you cannot apply.
- Community buildings must be multi-use (minimum of three separate user groups), with open community access, and owned and / or managed by the community.
- You must have permission from all the relevant bodies to carry out the project before you apply. For example, if the Parish Council owns the building then you must have their permission before you apply.
- You can't apply if you have heard you have been successful for a Community Buildings Grant from us within the last two years.
- You must have three written quotations for the works which you must submit with your application, or a good reason why three written quotes are not possible.
- Please ensure that your match funding is in place before applying to us. As a rule this grants scheme operates as a final funder and will normally refuse applications where all other funding is not in place. Please be aware that other organisations and authorities may have different timescales for their grants schemes.
How much can you apply for?
Grants are available of between £1,500 and £5,000, but we will only contribute up to third of total project costs. You would need to find a minimum of the other two thirds of your project costs from elsewhere. This means the total minimum costs for the whole project would need to be £4,500. Total project costs cannot exceed £750,000.
Match funding should make up third of the total project costs, this should include a contribution from your Parish Council.
We pay grants upon receipt of valid invoices and receipts. If the organisation paying for the project is VAT registered so is able to claim back VAT, you must only claim for the net amount (total amount minus VAT).
What projects are eligible for a grant?
Grants are available for capital projects only (not to help with running costs, routine repair or maintenance).
What we will fund
- provide a new/ replacement building
- serious structural defects, for example, roof and walls
- adaptation of a building for disabled access
- kitchen refits
- modernising / improving outdated facilities
- environmental/ green projects for example, solar panels, ground source heating, wind turbines
What we won't fund
- routine repairs and maintenance
- running costs of the community building
- single use buildings for example, sport club or church
- new curtains or carpets
- cosmetic re-decoration
- ground works
- removable items such as kitchen appliances, crockery, chairs and tables
- community buildings outside of our boundary
- community buildings in Town Council areas
When to apply?
Closing dates for applications are Friday 29 June 2018 at 5pm and Friday 11 January 2019 at 5pm (please bear in mind that there is only limited funding available so if all is granted in June there will be no funding available in January). Any applications received after the deadline will be deferred until the next round. Once the deadline is reached there is a critical timescale, so incomplete applications will not be assessed and will be returned to the applicant.
How to apply?
- Read through all of the rules to ensure your application is eligible. Early contact with us will ensure feedback for your application.
- Fill in the application form using the guidance notes to complete the questions.
- Make sure to send in all the documents specified in the application form otherwise your application will be returned to you as incomplete.
- Submit your application before the deadline. Do not leave applying until the last minute.
How will we assess your application?
Once the deadline has passed all applications undergo an eligibility check. If we find that your application is incomplete we will not proceed any further. This could include an incomplete form, missing documentation or ineligibility against our criteria of match funding.
Once your application has passed its eligibility check, all eligible application forms will be presented to the our community fund panel of councillors for decision.
The whole process takes approximately 8 weeks. You will be notified in writing whether your application has been successful or not. Successful applicants will receive a grant offer letter which must be signed and sent back to us within one month to secure the grant.