Change4Life has produced lots of information to help families become sugar smart.
It’s unrealistic to cut out all sugary foods and drinks in one go. It’s easier to make small changes such as cutting out sugar in tea or having sugary cereals less often.
Nearly a quarter of the added sugar in our diets comes from sugary drinks, such as fizzy drinks, sweetened juices, squashes, and cordials. When choosing drinks try to:
- Swap sugary drinks for water or lower fat milk
- Limit fruit juice to meal times and dilute it with water
- Reduce the number of fizzy drinks
- Cut back on sugar added to tea and coffee
- Check the sugar content in flavoured water drinks: a 500ml glass of some brands contains 15g of sugar, equivalent of nearly four teaspoons of sugar.
The Change4Life free Food Scanner app shows you quickly and easily how much total sugar is in different food and drink products. Download the free app from Apple’s App Store or Google Play then scan the barcode to find out.
Here are Change4Life recipe ideas.