8. Insurance cover and low cost home insurance for council tenants
We insure our council dwellings and in the event of fire, lightning, storm or flood we would claim on our insurance for the cost of repairing or rebuilding the property. We do not insure any contents that belong to you or any improvements that may have been carried out by you. We strongly urge that you have your own contents insurance. Contents insurance is available from a number of insurance companies.
Alternatively, we are part of a special scheme called Crystal arranged in conjunction with Thistle Tenant Risks. This scheme has arranged an affordable home contents insurance policy through which tenants can protect their belongings. The scheme is open to all our tenants and leaseholders.
Occasionally you will see cheaper premiums for traditional policies however, the cover provided by Thistle Insurance will rarely compare to other schemes. For example, there is:
- No excess on any claim
- No minimum claim limit
- Easy flexible payment methods
- Covers things like loss and theft of keys and accidental damage to glazing
- Residents who have a Key Safe installed are also able to apply for cover.
- This policy does not increase after a tenant makes a claim.
The standard policy covers you against the following:
- Fire damage
- Storm and flood damage
- Damage caused by water or oil leaks
- Lost or stolen keys
- The contents of your freezer if it broke down
- Accidental damage to TV’s and home entertainment equipment
- The damage caused by a leaking washing machine or a burst pipe
- The contents of sheds and garages are included
- Cover for damage to fixtures and fittings that you may be legally responsible for.
- The cover even extends to insuring students’ personal possessions.
If you have any queries or need any help call Crystal Insurance helpline on 0345-450-7286.