The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018.

How to apply

If you want to run a business looking after a small number of other people's dogs in your own home you will need to apply for a home boarding licence.

You will need to complete an application form and send this to us.  Contact the environmental health team  by phone, 01395 571517, or email



You will need to pay a fee for your licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.

You will need a credit or debit card to pay by phone.

You will need to send us your current certificate of insurance or have this ready to show to our environmental health officer when your premises is inspected

Any personal information which you provide will be held and used by East Devon District Council for the purpose of issuing you with a licence for animal boarding and on the basis of public task.

Who will receive or see my personal information? Your information may also be shared within East Devon District Council for the purposes of carrying out our lawful functions. Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside East Devon District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection purposes. Your information will be held securely and will not be retained for any longer than is necessary. There are a number of rights available to you in relation to our use of your personal information, depending on the reason for processing. Further detail about our use of your personal information can be found in the relevant Privacy Notice which can be accessed here