Please do not use this application form to apply for consent to trade at Sidmouth Folk Week. The application form for Sidmouth Folk Week will be published on this website on the 16 April 2018 at 10am. Any applications submitted before that date will not be accepted.
How to apply
You'll need to complete an application form and sent this to us at least 1 month before you wish to trade.
If you're applying for a street trading consent which is solely for your own use and which doesn't form part of a larger market or event then you'll also need to send us:
- A map of the trading site. The map should clearly identify the proposed site position by marking the site boundary with a red line. The map should include the nearest residential and commercial properties to the trading site. Applications for mobile trading consents (e.g. fish and chip vans) must provide specific routes and the locations they wish to trade from.
- A colour photograph showing the stall, vehicle or barrow which is to be used from the front back and sides. It is not necessary to show what is being sold.
- A copy of the certificate of insurance that covers the street trading activity for third party and public liability risks with an appropriate level of cover (this will usually be a minimum cover level of £2,000,000).
- Evidence of a current Food Hygiene Rating Scheme score of at least 3 from the relevant home Authority (and let us know which authority) if your application includes the sale of food or drink.
We'll need these documents before we can accept your application.
If you're an event organiser and you're making a block application for an event where multiple traders attend then you'll also need to:
- Send us a map of the trading site. The map should clearly identify the proposed site position by marking the site boundary with a red line. The map should include the nearest residential and commercial properties to the trading site. The map should show the location of all trading pitches. We'll need this before we can accept your application.
- Ask each trader attending the event to complete a traders form and supply a photograph of their trading unit. These forms and photographs will need to either be sent in with your application or, if you don't have the completed traders forms when you make the application, you'll need to give them to us at least 2 clear working days before the event.
There is no fee payable for a street trading consent. You will however need to make sure you have permission of the land owner and they may make a charge for hire of the land.
If the land where you want to trade is owned by East Devon District Council then you'll need to complete a use of EDDC land form and pay any land hire fee due.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- To fill in, sign and send to us a street trading application form
You'll also need to send us:
- A map of the site
- A photograph of your trading unit
- A copy of your insurance certificate
- Evidence of your food hygiene rating scheme score if you're applying to sell food or drink
You'll also need to send us:
- A map of the site
- A traders form and photograph of the stall completed by each trader attending the event
When we receive your application we'll check it to make sure it's been completed correctly. We'll telephone or email you if there is anything else we need.
As soon as we have the complete application and all the information we need, we'll accept it. We will then carry out a consultation process with:
- The Highways Authority (Devon County Council) / Highways England
- Devon and Cornwall Police
- Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service (DSFR) where appropriate
- The Council’s Environmental Health (Commercial and Environment Protection) Teams
- The relevant Ward Members (unless they are the applicant)
- The appropriate Parish or Town Council (unless they are the applicant)
Where possible we'll give them 10 working days to let us have their views. We do this so that we can consider their comments before any consent is granted.
After this date, we'll consider your application and decide whether to grant it or refuse it and write to you with our decision. If your application is granted, standard conditions will be attached to the consent. We may also attach additional conditions if we think it is necessary.
What you can do if you haven't heard from us
It is in the public interest that we process your application before deciding if it can be granted. This means that you'll need to wait for our decision before you start trading. If after 21 days you haven't heard from us please contact us by email or telephone for an update.
You can let us have your street trading application by sending it to us in the post or delivering it to our offices.
If you would like to come into the office and speak to us about your application then please telephone to make an appointment.