East Devon District Council

Cookies information

eastdevon.gov.uk uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Guide Guidance for obtaining a street trading consent

Show all parts of this guide

1. How to apply for a street trading consent

Applications for a street trading consent must be made to the licensing team and the following will be required:

  1. A completed and signed Street Trading application
  2. The relevant fee payment with each application
  3.  2 copies of a map of the trading site. The map should clearly identify the proposed site position by marking the site boundary with a red line. The map should include the nearest residential and commercial properties to the trading site. Applications for mobile consents (i.e. fish & chip vans) must detail specific routes they wish to trade from.
  4.  A clear passport photograph of the applicant (and every other person assisting) and one colour photograph of the stall, vehicle, barrow to be used.
  5.  Original copy of the certificate of insurance to cover the street trading activity for third party and public liability risks up to a maximum of £5,000,000.
  6.  Proof of Right to Work in the UK (Immigration Act 2016)
  7.  Copy of food hygiene certificate from relevant Local Authority (to include which authority)
  8.  Written permission from the owner of the land where the street trading is to be carried out on land which is not a public highway. Applications cannot proceed where permission has not been provided for whatever reason. Permissions given by leaseholders to use land for street trading purposes will only be accepted where the terms of the lease permits the type of street trading activity being applied for.
  9. A recent Gas Safety Inspection Certificate for any gas appliances used as part of the business. Generators may not be used or permitted at some locations. Where use of a generator is sought at a trading site the application will require details of the noise rating, the fuel type and the storage arrangements.

Applications cannot be accepted unless all points A to I above have been received.

The Council will then consult with other organisations.

Consent for street trading will not be given until the consultation has ended.

Applications will be considered from organisers of farmers markets and similar community events on the basis of one block consent for each market or event held. In this case, item (d) above is not required, however the applicant must keep a list of stall holders and must provide a copy to East Devon District Council on request. The market or event organiser in receipt of a block consent will be responsible for all the individual trading activities, including licensing arrangements, collection and payment of any fees they wish to pass on.

An event that is community based and run, for non-commercial purposes, such as a fete or school fund raising activity is seen as non-commercial fund raising.  Where any of the profit of the trading is retained by the trader for private gain, and not passed to the organisers of the event for use in, or by, the community concerned then the trader will not benefit from the fee exemption.

Events run by charities, providing the profits from such events are wholly passed to the charity concerned, are not seen as commercial trading. 

Applications should be submitted to the Licensing Team, East Devon District Council Offices, Knowle, Sidmouth, EX10 8HL during normal office hours or submitted online. 

Further information regarding making an application can be obtained from the Licensing Team, East Devon District Council, Tel: 01395 517411. Email: licensing@eastdevon.gov.uk

 For information regarding the use of Council owned land, please contact Street Scene, East Devon District Council Offices, Knowle, Sidmouth, EX10 8HL Tel: 01395 517528.

Email: streetsceneadmin@eastdevon.gov.uk