Street trading is the selling of or offering to sell things in the street.  A street includes:

  • Any road, footway, beach or other area to which the public have access without payment
  • A service area as defined in section 329 of the Highways Act 1980

This also includes any part of a street.


From the 2 October 2017 street trading will be possible across East Devon as long as we have given you our consent. 

There are some streets in Sidmouth where street trading is not allowed at any time, these are called prohibited streets.  You can find out where these are in our street trading policy.

Charter Markets

Honiton and Axminster town markets have established historic charter rights which allow them to hold certain markets.  This means that these markets don't need a street trading consent.

Charitable street trading

Registered charities, parish councils and town councils can apply for a street trading consent to cover charitable and community events.

We'll need you to tell us the details of individual traders and what goods will be sold on each stall.


Before making an application you'll need to read our street trading guidance and street trading policy.  This policy also tells you which streets in Sidmouth are prohibited streets.  Trading is not allowed on prohibited streets at any time.  The rest of the streets in this district are consent streets.  Trading is only allowed on consent streets after a street trading consent has been granted.

If you wish to trade on private land then you'll need to obtain full permission from whoever owns that land.

For information about the use of council owned land, please contact our street scene department at Council Offices, Knowle, Sidmouth, EX10 8HL.  You can telephone them on 01395 517528 or email:

For information about the use of any highway you'll need to contact Devon County Council Highways Department to get their consent.  You can telephone them on 0345 155 1004 or email:

How to apply

If you want to apply to trade on one of our consent streets you'll need to apply for a street trading consent.

If you want to apply to trade on the seafront at Sidmouth Folk Week you'll need a different application form which will be published on this website on the 1 April 2018. 

Changing your consent

You will need to make an application if you want to make changes to your street trading consent in the future.


If you have an issue with a street trader you can telephone us or write to us with the details. 

You can also contact us if you want to know if someone has been granted a street trading consent.