Hackney carriage vehicle licences last for 1 year and must be renewed annually. If you already have a licensed hackney carriage vehicle, you can apply to transfer the licence for that existing vehicle to a new vehicle or a temporary vehicle at any time.
How to apply
Before applying for a transfer you'll need to make sure that your new or temporary vehicle can meet the conditions of our hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy.
Please note that our vehicle age policy states that on initial licensing as a hackney carriage, a vehicle shall not be more than 4 years old from the date of first registration. This means that if you apply to licence a vehicle which is more than 4 years old, the application can't be automatically granted by an officer and will have to be considered by the licensing sub committee who may either grant of refuse the application. The purchase of any vehicle is at your own risk.
You'll then need to telephone us to make an appointment to come into the office. You'll need to bring the following documents with you to your appointment:
- A completed and signed vehicle transfer application form
- The current vehicle registration certificate (V5) for the vehicle showing yourself as the owner if this is a permanent transfer, or
- If you are transferring on a temporary hire vehicle we will need to see the V5 and a vehicle hire agreement
- A current MOT for the vehicle if it is more than 1 year old
- A completed original vehicle inspection report form. The form will only be accepted it is has been printed on double sided and is stamped with the garage's official authentication stamp
- A current insurance certificate or cover note (to be a minimum of £1,000,000). This must show the vehicle registration number, the name of any persons insured to drive the vehicle and must specify that the vehicle can be used as a hackney carriage.
- The plate from the vehicle which is being replaced must be returned to us.
You'll need to bring the new or temporary vehicle to your appointment where it will be inspected by one of our licensing officers. At the time of inspection, the vehicle will need to have:
- A taxi roof sign which meets our requirements
- A taxi meter which must be calibrated to our fares chart
- A fire extinguisher
- A first aid kit
- No smoking signs clearly displayed inside the vehicle
If any of these are missing, the officer won't be able to complete the transfer and the vehicle won't be licensed.
You will need to pay a fee for your hackney carriage vehicle licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
Before we can consider your application, we'll need to have:
- completed application form
- cheque made payable to East Devon District Council, Debit or credit card
- insurance certificate or cover note
- vehicle registration document
- lease agreement if this is a temporary vehicle
- vehicle inspection report
- MOT certificate
- The existing vehicle plate
We can't consider your application until we have all of the documentation we need. The licensing officer looking after your case will let you know if there is information we are waiting for.
Once we have all of the information we need, your vehicle licence transfer will either be granted by a licensing officer or it may need to be considered by the licensing sub committee. If your application needs to be considered by the licensing sub committee we will let you know and you'll be sent notice of hearing documentation so that you can attend the hearing.
If you would like to come into the office and speak to us about your application then please telephone to make an appointment.