A hackney carriage vehicle licence runs for one year. You'll need to apply to renew your licence before it expires. We try to remind licence holders when their licence is due to expire but it is the responsibility of each driver to re-apply for their licence before it expires.
How to apply
You'll need to send us everything to renew your vehicle licence at least 4 weeks before your licence is due to expire. You must send us:
- A completed and signed hackney carriage vehicle renewal application form
We can only renew your licence if all of your other documents are up to date. You need to make sure that we have:
- A current MOT for the vehicle if it is more than 1 year old
- A current completed original vehicle inspection report form. The form will only be accepted it is has been printed on double sided and is stamped with the garage's official authentication stamp. If your vehicle is less than 8 years old it needs to have this inspection yearly. If it is over 8 years old, it'll need a vehicle inspection every 6 months.
- A current insurance certificate or cover note (to be a minimum of £1,000,000). This must show the vehicle registration number, the name of any persons insured to drive the vehicle and must specify that the vehicle can be used as a hackney carriage.
You'll only need to bring your vehicle in for inspection if it's over 14 years of age or if a licensing officer has asked to see it.
If your vehicle is over 14 years of age, it cannot automatically be renewed and will need to be inspected by a licensing officer. If your vehicle is over 14 years old please telephone us to book an appointment.
If when the vehicle is inspected it isn't considered to be of sufficient standard, it will be referred to the Licensing Sub Committee.
At the time of inspection, the vehicle will need to have:
- A taxi roof sign which meets our requirements
- A taxi meter which must be calibrated to our fares chart
- A fire extinguisher
- A first aid kit
- No smoking signs clearly displayed inside the vehicle
If any of these are missing, the officer won't be able to issue your licence renewal.
You will need to pay a fee for the renewal of your hackney carriage vehicle licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
Before we can consider your application, we'll need to have:
- A completed application form
- cheque made payable to East Devon District Council, debit or credit card
We may also need:
- A vehicle inspection report
- MOT certificate
- current insurance certificate
We can't consider your application until we have all of the documentation we need. The licensing officer looking after your case will let you know if there is information we are waiting for.
Once we have all of the information we need, your vehicle licence will either be renewed by a licensing officer or it may need to be considered by the licensing sub committee. If your application needs to be considered by the licensing sub committee we will let you know and you'll be sent notice of hearing documentation so that you can attend the hearing.
If you would like to come into the office and speak to us about your application then please telephone us to make an appointment.