You can apply at any time for a 1 year or 3 year hackney carriage driver licence.
How to apply
To apply for a hackney carriage driver licence you will need to:
- meet the conditions of our policy hackney carriage vehicle and driver licensing
- complete an application form for grant of hackney carriage driver licence
- pass the driver and vehicle standards agency taxi assessment (Driver Standards Agency (DSA) tests are booked directly with the DSA by you and may be taken locally at Exeter, Newton Abbot and Taunton)
- produce a medical form signed by a registered doctor certifying that the applicant is physically fit to be the driver of a hackney carriage
- complete a Disclosure and Barring Service check (you will need to contact our licensing office for login details and pay the DBS fee)
You will need to pay a fee for your hackney carriage driver licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
All applications should be sent to our licensing office together with your:
- fee, including driver's badge deposit fee, Disclosure and Barring Service and administration fee (please make all cheques payable to East Devon District Council, credit or debit card payment can be made by telephoning our licensing office - note credit card payments incur a 1.5% additional charge)
- a current full driving licence to drive a motor car, held for more than 12 months
- pass certificate issued by Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency, not earlier than 12 months before the application date
- a completed online Disclosure and Barring Service application
- a reference from a previous or current employer
- two references from people who have known the applicant for at least three years and not being close relatives
- confirmation of employment in letter form by the applicant's proposed employer (unless the applicant is to be self-employed)
- medical certificate to show that applicant meets the group 2 medical standard for vocational drivers.
- two current passport-size photographs
Once your licence is ready to be issued you will be invited to attend an interview at our offices. You will be shown a 20-minute video called This Time Every Time which is based on the Disability Discrimination Act.
Following a satisfactory interview, presentation of original documents including medical certificate and taxi driving test result and a satisfactory DBS check your licence will be issued within a few weeks.
If you would like to come into the office and speak to an officer about your application then please telephone to make an appointment.