Hackney carriage vehicle are licences for 1 year and need to be renewed annually.
How to apply
You will need to meet the conditions of the council's hackney carriage vehicle and driver licensing policy, complete a hackney carriage vehicle licence application form and send it to the licensing office together with:
- registration document or lease agreement for each vehicle
- vehicle inspection report for each vehicle
- insurance certificate or cover note (to be a minimum of £1,000,000) in accordance with Part VI of the Road Traffic Act 1988
- MOT certificate if applicable (vehicles may be tested up to six weeks prior to application)
- licence fee for each vehicle - please make cheques payable to East Devon District Council, credit of debit card payments can be made by telephone - note credit card payments incur a 1.5% additional charge
Both the vehicle registration document and the insurance policy holder must be in the applicant's name.
You will need to pay a fee for your hackney carriage vehicle licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- a completed application form
- cheque made payable to East Devon District Council, credit or debit card
- insurance certificate
- vehicle registration document (V5) or lease agreement
- vehicle inspection report
- MOT certificate if applicable
You will need to telephone to make an appointment to see one of our licensing officers so they can inspect your vehicle and look at your original documents.
Following a satisfactory inspection, your licence will usually be issued within a week.
If you would like to visit the office and speak to us about your application then please telephone to make an appointment.