1. Vehicle licence
Before a licence is issued, you must satisfy the conditions listed below.
- The application form must be completed to the council’s satisfaction and be accompanied by the appropriate fee.
- Insurance cover (to be a minimum of £1,000,000) in accordance with Part VI of the Road Traffic Act 1988, must be effected in respect of hackney carriage vehicles.
- A Department of Transport certificate, if appropriate, as to the condition of the vehicle shall be produced.
- Testing of Hackney Carriage Vehicles - it is incumbent upon the hackney carriage proprietor to have vehicles tested by a garage nominated by the council. Proprietors shall produce with the licence application form, a completed and satisfactory vehicle inspection report in a form approved by the council and signed by a person authorised to sign Department of Transport Test Certificates at the inspecting garage that the vehicle has passed an inspection relating to safety, comfort and mechanical condition. The vehicle must be checked by the inspecting engineer over the measured distances commensurate with the fare tariffs prevailing at the time of the test and he will also check that the meter is sealed, functioning and recording correctly. The cost of the inspection will be borne by the vehicle proprietor.
- The vehicle registration document must be produced in support of each application for a licence or renewal of licence.
- Our policy is that on initial licensing as a hackney carriage, a vehicle shall be not more than four years old from the date of first registration as shown on the registration document, and shall not normally be licensed in the case of ordinary cars beyond eight years old, and purpose built hackney carriages (as so described in the registration document of the vehicle) beyond 10 years of age. Vehicles of a greater age shall be licensed subject to a satisfactory test certificate being obtained every six months. This policy shall not exclude a vehicle from being initially licensed as a hackney carriage by reason of being more than four years old if the vehicle was initially licensed and continually licensed thereafter as a private hire vehicle.
- The minimum engine capacity of vehicles is to be 1300 cc.
- Cars must have a minimum of four doors.