A hackney carriage vehicle licence runs for one year. You will need to apply to renew your licence before it expires. The licensing service will try to remind licence holders when their licence is due to expire, however it is the responsibility of each driver to re-apply for their licence before it expires.
How to apply
You will need to complete a hackney carriage vehicle licence renewal form and send it to the licensing office together with:
- registration document or lease agreement for each vehicle
- vehicle inspection report for each vehicle
- MOT certificate if applicable (vehicles may be tested up to six weeks prior to application)
- current insurance certificate or cover note for each vehicle (to be a minimum of £1,000,000) in accordance with Part VI of the Road Traffic Act 1988
- renewal fee for each vehicle - please make cheques payable to East Devon District Council, credit or debit card payments can be made by telephone - note credit card payments incur a 1.5% additional charge
Both the vehicle registration document and the insurance policy holder must be in the applicant's name.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
- A completed application form
- cheque made payable to East Devon District Council, debit or credit card
- registration document or lease agreement
- vehicle inspection report
- MOT certificate
- current insurance certificate
Your new licence will be issued when all the relevant checks are complete.
If you would like to come into the office and speak to us about your application then please telephone us to make an appointment.