You can apply to renew your private hire operator's licence for either 1 year or 5 years.
How to apply
Before applying to renew your private hire driver licence you'll need to make sure that you can still meet the conditions of our hackney carriage and private hire licensing policy.
You'll need to let us have your renewal application at least a month before your licence expires.
What you'll need
You'll need to let us have:
- A completed and signed private hire operator's renewal application form
- Documents that demonstrate your right to work in the UK. The Immigration Act 2016 now means that we have to check that all applicants for a private hire operator's licence have the right to work in the UK. The list of documents that are acceptable can be found at the back of the application form. If you've completed the right to work check before you won't need to do this again unless your right to work in the UK is not indefinite.
We can only renew your licence if your DBS check up to date. We carry out an enhanced criminal record check known as a DBS check for each of our private hire operators every 3 years. We use a company called uCheck to provide these checks. If you are due to have a DBS check, you'll need to let us have the following:
- A criminal records check reference number
- you'll need to make an appointment to bring in 2 forms of identification so that we can countersign your DBS check. The main documents acceptable for this are either your passport or original full birth certificate and a bank statement or utility bill which is less than 3 months old.
- You'll also need to pay the fee of £67.
Any fee you have to pay to complete this requirement is non refundable and is paid at your own risk. We can't consider your renewal application if any of your documentation is out of date.
You'll need to pay a fee to us ro renew your private hire operator's licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
Before we can consider your application, we'll need to have:
- your signed and completed application form
- The application fee. This can be paid by cheque, cash or card.
We may also need:
- A document demonstrating your right to work in the UK
- Two further forms of identification
- A criminal records check reference number if your DBS is due for renewal
We can't consider your application until we have all of the documentation we need. The licensing officer looking after your case will let you know if there is information we are waiting for.
Once we have all of the information we need, your operator's licence will either be renewed by a licensing officer or it may need to be considered by the licensing sub committee. If your application needs to be considered by the licensing sub committee we will let you know and you'll be sent notice of hearing documentation so that you can attend the hearing.
If you would like to come into the office and speak to an Officer about your application then please telephone to make an appointment.