Applications can be made at any time during the year, all private hire driver licences expire on 31 May.
To apply for a private hire driver licence you will need to:
- Meet the conditions of our private hire vehicle, operator and driver licensing policy
- Complete an application form for grant of a private hire driver licence. The full application pack is not available online but is available on request from the licensing office.
- make an appointment for an interview with a licensing officer. To comply with the Immigration Act 2016 the Council is required to check your eligibility to live and work in the UK. You will be required to confirm that you are able to live and work in the UK and that on request you are able to provide evidence of this. You will also be shown a 20-minute video called This Time Every Time which is based on the Disability Discrimination Act.
- pass Driving Standards Agency taxi assessment of equivalent taxi driver test. You can book your test with Devon Driving Acadamy. The cost of the assessment is payable by each applicant.
- Produce a medical form signed by a registered medical practitioner certifying that the applicant is physically fit to be the driver of a private hire vehicle. Medical forms are available from the licensing office.
- Complete a disclosure and barring service check (you will need to contact our licensing office for login details and pay the DBS fee)
You will need to pay a fee for your private hire driver licence. Please make sure you are aware of how much this will cost.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
All applications should be sent to the licensing office together with:
- A fee, including driver's badge deposit fee, DBS including administration fee. Please make all cheques payable to East Devon District Council, credit or debit card payment can be made by telephoning the licensing office - note credit card payments incur a 1.5% additional charge
- A current full driving licence to drive a motor car, held for more than 12 months
- Pass certificate issued by Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency or equivalent taxi driver test, not earlier than 12 months before the application date
- A completed online Disclosure and Barring Service application
- Two references from persons who have known the applicant for at least three years and not being close relatives
- Confirmation of employment in letter form by the applicant's proposed employer (unless the applicant is to be self-employed)
- Medical certificate to show that applicant meets the group 2 medical standard for vocational drivers.
- Two current passport-size photographs
Following a satisfactory interview and presentation of original documents including medical certificate and taxi driving test result and a satisfactory DBS check your licence will be issued, usually with a few weeks.
If you would like to come into the office and speak to us about your application then please telephone us to make an appointment.