Public invited by East Devon to comment on proposals to create new West Hill parish council
A three month period of consultation on the proposed creation of West Hill parish council will commence tomorrow 16 March 2016. This is the second period of consultation - or Community Governance Review as it is known - for West Hill’s potential parish council and it will conclude on 16 June 2016.
East Devon District Council is keen to encourage the local community to comment on the draft proposals, which - together with a map showing the proposed boundary for the village - have now been published on the East Devon website, following a resolution made by members at a meeting of full council on 24 February 2016.
The draft proposals for a Community Governance Review of West Hill are as follows:
- That the new parish council be known as ‘West Hill Parish Council’ and not by one of the ‘alternative styles’ of community, neighbourhood or village.
- That the membership will comprise of seven councillors.
- That no warding provisions are incorporated in the parish council.
- The parish council will take effect with parish council elections for West Hill in May 2017.
- Proposed Boundary (subject to this further consultation) of the Parish Council to be as set out in the attached plan and shown by the thick black line to the west of the village and the thin black lines to the north, east and south of the village.
Anyone wishing to comment on these draft proposals, should submit their views in writing by 16 June 2016 either by email to: email@example.com or by post to: East Devon District Council/Community Governance Review, Room 70, Knowle, Sidmouth EX10 8HL
All views received will be published.
East Devon District Council Chief Executive and Returning Officer for East Devon, Mark Williams, said:
This is an important decision that needs careful consideration by anyone who has an interest in West Hill, or who would be affected by the formation of the new parish council. A decision on the two consultations will take place within the next 12 months. Ultimately, if the proposal is approved, West Hill will no longer come under the jurisdiction of Ottery’s town council and the community will gain a number of benefits from having a separate parish council. I strongly urge the local community to air their views during this consultation period in order to help shape the future governance of this village.
Further information about the proposed creation of West Hill parish council is available on the East Devon website.