Due to fast take-up only a few vacancies remain (6%) – interested parties urged to join waiting lists as soon as possible
Following consultation in spring 2015, which resulted in changes to the management of council owned beach huts, East Devon District Council is delighted to report that public demand for beach huts for the 2016 season is as strong as ever, to the point that there is now limited availability.
Initially, 24% of beach hut/beach hut sites/chalet tenants relinquished their rentals as a result of the agreed changes, which included:
- An increase in the rental charges for beach huts, beach hut sites and chalets for 2016/2017 and 2017/2018
- An extra fee covering national non domestic rates, which hirers of all beach huts and beach huts sites will now be charged
- In addition, the council is now not providing any huts at Budleigh Salterton and Seaton. Instead, it will be the responsibility of anyone hiring a site, to provide and look after their own huts.
However, this has had the positive effect of allowing the council to market the remaining beach huts to people on the waiting lists – in some cases for the first time in eight years.
Following this initial turnover, 76% of tenants renewed their licences with the council and now all beach hut vacancies at Sidmouth have been filled, with just 6% of the 480 beach huts/beach hut sites/beach chalets across East Devon’s five different beaches remaining available.
Remaining East Devon beach hut/chalets/beach hut sites vacancies
- Beer - three beach hut sites available – join the waiting list now
- Seaton - 14 beach hut sites available – join the waiting list now and secure a spot near the new Seaton Jurassic centre
- Budleigh - seven sites available – join the waiting list now
- Exmouth - one chalet remaining (currently under offer)
- Exmouth - four beach huts available – join the waiting list now
The council is now offering its remaining available beach hut sites/beach hut rentals to its waiting lists in blocks of 30 people at a time, on a first come first serve basis. Would-be hirers are advised to act quickly in order to secure their own little piece of East Devon’s outstanding coastline.
Beach hut site rentals for the 2016/2017 season range from £319 to £652, with charges for chalets going up to £1,535. In addition to the hire charge, there is a service charge to cover rates. Any rental taken up mid-season will be offered a pro-rata rate.
The strong take-up of our beach huts proves that our huts, chalets and sites are realistically priced. Our review of the management of what is one of East Devon’s most popular assets was long overdue and I am pleased that following an extensive consultation process, we have produced a sensible and cost effective solution that enables new hirers (who wouldn’t previously have had a chance to enjoy a beach hut) to take advantage of this golden opportunity. The new system is much fairer and it is extremely rewarding to hear so many residents commenting on how delighted they are to have the chance to hire a beach hut, chalet or beach hut site.
Despite critics saying that only rich people from outside the area would be able to hire a beach hut, our lettings list reveals that the vast majority of beach huts/sites have been let to local people.
To find out where along the beautiful Jurassic coastline you could have a seafront spot or how to join the waiting list please contact East Devon on 01395 516551 or visit the beach hut pages on the East Devon website.
More information about the beach hut consultation can be found on East Devon’s consultation and surveys web pages.