East Devon’s popular annual tenants’ gardening competition reveals many green fingers across district
The results of the annual East Devon Tenants Garden Competition 2016 were recently celebrated at a prize giving tea in the council chamber at East Devon District Council’s offices at Knowle, Sidmouth, attended by East Devon councillors, Housing Service officers, sponsors (who presented prizes and certificates), prizewinners and the competition’s judge, horticultural consultant, Kieron Bewes.
The Tenants Garden Competition is an increasingly popular event, which is organised each year by the Tenant Participation team in Housing Services at East Devon District Council. This year, there were 36 entries and the organisers were delighted to welcome two first time entries.
Kieron Bewes used the Royal Horticultural Society’s judging method once again against which 21 entrants obtained a Gold level, which is an exceptionally high standard to reach. The overall competition winner was Mr John Fowler of Sidmouth, who won Gold in the Overall Garden category and Best on the Day competition winner for 2016.
Councillor Jill Elson, Portfolio holder for sustainable homes and communities at East Devon District Council, said:
Once again, the tenants of East Devon District Council have excelled themselves with a beautiful display of gardens, which as landlords we greatly appreciate. We received excellent feedback after the event, which confirmed that our tenants enter because they love gardening and enjoy helping promote the competition. I would like to thank our judge, the many sponsors who so kindly donated prizes and of course everyone involved in making this fantastic annual event such a success. Our Tenant Participation team work extremely hard to make it happen. So well done everyone and we hope to see you all again in 2017.
A raffle was held with prizes of assorted garden supplies donated by Bev Anderson, Tenant Participation Assistant.
The sponsors for the 2016 East Devon Tenants Garden Competition were:
- Otter Nurseries, Ottery St Mary
- Kings Garden Centre, Exmouth
- Kieron Bewes - Horticultural Consultant
- EmmDee Building Services
- Robert Heath Heating
- Skinner Construction
- Thistle Insurance Group
- Mark Vernon – Professional Cleaning Services
- Tenant Participation
For further information about the 2017 Tenants Garden Competition, please visit the Annual garden competition page.
Results - East Devon Tenants Garden Competition 2016
Gold - Best in category & overall best on day
- Mr John Fowler of Sidmouth
Gold - best in category
- Mrs Anderton, Axminster: Front Garden
- Ms Benton, Broadclyst: Back Garden
- Mrs Hill, Seaton; Communal & Friends
- Mr Meekings, Sidmouth: Disabled Category.
- Mr Miller, Exmouth: First Time Entrant
- Mr Salter, Ottery St Mary: Recycled/Organic Garden
- Mr Sleeman, Exmouth: Containers & Hanging Baskets
- Mrs Bea, Sidmouth: Disabled Garden
- Mr and Mrs Burton, Seaton; Overall Garden
- Mr and Mrs Cranch, Exmouth; Back Garden
- Mr and Mrs Donnelly, Colyton: Overall Garden
- Mr and Mrs Fowler, Honiton: Vegetable Garden
- Mr Gallagher, Woodbury: Overall Garden
- Mr Glanville, Talaton; Overall Garden
- Mr Hill, Exmouth: Front Garden
- Mr & Mrs Hughes, Exmouth: Disabled Garden
- Mr & Mrs Kellaway, Exmouth: Recycled/Organic Garden
- Mr Ponsford, Broadclyst: Overall Garden
- Mrs Ward, Kilmington: Overall Garden
- Mr Ward, Exmouth: Overall Garden
- Mrs Beer, Broadclyst: Containers & Hanging Baskets
- Mr Bond, Lympstone: Disabled Garden
- Mrs Cocks, Seaton: Containers & Hanging Baskets
- Mr Gray, Axminster: Back Garden
- Mrs Hembury, Rockbeare: First time Entrant
- Mrs Higham, Exmouth: Back Garden
- Mrs Le Sueur, Mr David Parr, Charlie & Friends of Lymbourne Park, Sidmouth: Communal and Friends
- Mr & Mrs Nobes, Lympstone: Front Garden
- Mr Odubore, Honiton; Front Garden
- Mr D Purrington & Mrs S Denning, Seaton: First Time Entrant
- Mrs Travers, Sidmouth: Front Garden.
- Mr & Mrs Webber, Honiton: Overall Garden
- Mr and Mrs Doran, Exmouth: Containers & Hanging Baskets
- Mrs Jackley, Sidmouth: Disabled Garden
- Miss Love, Woodbury: Disabled Garden