Local community invited to book their places on free crafts/fitness/wellbeing/community events and activities run by East Devon and Honiton Town Council, culminating in a big screen film
Bookings are now open for East Devon District Council and Honiton Town Council’s Honiton Events Week (25-31 May 2019). This week-long celebration of Honiton’s wonderful parks, nature reserves, arts, community and fitness centres, which are supported by dedicated services provided by East Devon, will give local people the chance to try new experiences, meet council staff and to find out more about the opportunities available to them.
Comprising free fun arts, crafts, health and wellbeing themed activities, the week-long programme kicks off in grand style with a garden party at the Thelma Hulbert Gallery on Saturday 25 May at 5.30pm.
It continues at different venues across the town with horticultural talks, creative workshops, nature walks, fitness classes, circus skills, wellbeing courses and a Dragons Den style community funding event, all of which are free. The week concludes with a free big screen film event at Allhallows play area on Friday 31 May, showing Christopher Robin* (*Subject to licence).
Honiton Events Week is the first phase of a new initiative called #inhoniton, which aims to provide further development and support for Honiton’s amazing parks/gardens/nature reserves, arts and leisure venues.
Mark Williams, East Devon District Council’s Chief Executive said:
#inhoniton’s aim is to encourage local people to get more active with family and friends, become more involved in volunteering and to generally get more use out of all the council’s open spaces in the town.
Mark Tredwin, Honiton Town Council Clerk, said:
Honiton is a vibrant and busy town that has much to offer residents and visitors alike. The range of activities and events that take place here is huge and often many people are unaware that many events of this nature are taking place all the time. It is hoped that people will find something during this particular week that they can participate in on a regular or occasional basis.
All the events are listed on the East Devon website and include contact and booking details for anyone requiring further information or wanting to make a booking. Some events do not require booking. A number of events can be booked via Eventbrite – the links can be found in the Honiton Events Week listings on the East Devon website.
- Saturday 25 May, 5.30pm Garden party, Thelma Hulbert Gallery (THG) – no booking necessary
- Monday 27 May, 9.30-11.30am Nature Walk Knapp Copse – booking essential via Eventbrite
- Monday 27 May, 2-3pm East Devon Parks talk, East Devon Business Centre – booking essential via Eventbrite
- Tuesday 28 May, 7am-8pm Taster gym/exercise classes LED Honiton Leisure Centre – booking essential via LED
- Tuesday 28 May, 10am-12pm Circus Skills, outside Honiton Family Church – no booking necessary
- Tuesday 28 May, 11am-2pm BBQ Masterclass Offwell Woods – booking essential via Eventbrite
- Tuesday 28 May, 11am-3pm Family storytelling workshop Thelma Hulbert Gallery – drop-in event – no booking necessary
- Tuesday 28 May, 11am-3pm Drop in drawing/writing family workshop Thelma Hulbert Gallery – no booking necessary
- Wednesday 29 May, 10am-3pm Family wildlife day at Honiton Bottom – no booking necessary
- Wednesday 29 May, 10.30am-12pm Woolly Wednesday at Thelma Hulbert Gallery – no booking necessary
- Wednesday 29 May , 1.30-3pm Early Years (under 5’s) creative Session at Thelma Hulbert Gallery – drop-in – no booking necessary
- Wednesday 29 May, 2-4pm Honiton Dragons event at The Beehive – limited audience places -booking essential through Eventbrite. To be a participant contact Alex Higgins for an application form on: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07805 813033
- Thursday 30 May, Taster gym/exercise classes LED Honiton Leisure Centre. Booking essential through LED Leisure
- Thursday 30 May, 9.15am Devon Loves Dogs event at Honiton Bottom – no booking necessary
- Thursday 30 May, 11am-2pm Go Wild in Honiton at The Beehive – drop-in – no booking necessary
- Thursday 30 May, 11am-3pm Nuno felting workshop at Thelma Hulbert Gallery – booking essential through THG
- Thursday 30 May, 11am-12.30pm Ways2Wellbeing event The Dance Studio LED Honiton Leisure Centre – no booking necessary
- Thursday 30 May, 2-3pm Wow with a windowbox at the front of Blackdown House, Honiton – no booking necessary
- Thursday 30 May, 2-4pm Tour of the Glen – booking essential via Eventbrite
- Friday 31 May, 10am-1pm Gittisham Common Heritage walk – booking essential via Eventbrite
- Friday 31 May, 11am-1pm Mindfulness for depression course, Thelma Hulbert Gallery – booking essential via Devon Recovery Learning Community https://devonrlc.co.uk/courses/mindfulness-for-depression-2/
- Friday 31 May, 6pm outdoor cinema screening of Christopher Robin (subject to licence), Allhallows recreation field – booking essential via Eventbrite. Maximum 250 people.