Once belonging to Blackmore House - which stood on the site now used by the health centre - the gardens supplied fresh produce for the family table, as well as an area to enjoy.
Sidmouth Urban District Council adopted Blackmore Gardens on 15 January 1952 when they bought the freehold from the Honourable Mrs G H Pleydell-Bouverie. Outbuildings and glasshouses were demolished and themed floral displays were planted - making way for a public park.
Recent changes have seen the removal of the old (and diseased) rose beds from the outer section of the garden. Some have been replaced by bold herbaceous designs and others grassed over to allow further recreational uses. There is an aromatic garden running along the outside edge of the western boarder of the gardens, planted with herbs such as sage, thyme, oregano and lavender.