The revised Greater Exeter Strategic Plan timetable:
February 2017 – Issues consultation June 2019 – Consultation on draft plan September 2020 – Publication (Proposed Submission) March 2021 – Submission May 2021 – Inspector’s Hearings December 2021 – Adoption
The preparation of the plan has been held up by a number of factors, the main ones being;
- Significant and ongoing review of national planning and housing policies, commencing with the Housing White Paper and most recently involving a draft revised National Planning Policy Framework and associated Practice Guidance. These documents include amendments to the five year supply approach, a new housing “delivery test” and changes to the way housing need is calculated.
- A very high response to the “call for sites” with over 700 sites made available, which needed to be assessed and considered via the HELAA (Housing and Employment Land Availability Assessment) process.
- The need to resolve complex transport issues associated with the plan, particularly in the Exeter area, including extensive modelling, roadside interviews and scheme assessment. This work is still ongoing and will inform a key element of the Greater Exeter Strategic Plan strategy.
East Devon, Exeter, Mid Devon and Teignbridge, in partnership with Devon County Council, are working together, engaging with stakeholders and communities, to prepare a new joint plan. By working together, the aim is to deliver the best possible outcomes for the provision of new homes, jobs and infrastructure for existing and future generations, while also protecting and enhancing the environment. The plan is being called the Greater Exeter Strategic Plan and the Greater Exeter area covers all of the four local authority areas, excluding Dartmoor National Park.
The purpose of the GESP is to:
- Have a joined-up vision and aspirations for the area
- Meet the area’s housing needs in the right locations
- Secure economic growth and increased prosperity
- Provide transport and infrastructure improvements needed to support sustainable growth
- Conserve and enhance the area’s environment
For further information please go to the GESP website.