The National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF) requires councils to encourage the effective use of land within settlements by reusing land that has been previously developed (brownfield land).
Since December 2017, local authorities have been legally required to prepare, maintain and publish a brownfield land register of sites. Registers will help builders to identify potentially suitable brownfield sites for housing development, whilst data on sites is ‘harvested’ nationally.
Details are set out in the Town and Country Planning (Brownfield Land Register) Regulations 2017
To be included on a register, sites must be:
- Suitable for residential development, in accordance with policies in the adopted Local Plan and the NPPF,
- Free from adverse impacts on the natural environment, habitats or built heritage that cannot be mitigated,
- Viable and capable of being delivered within 5 years,
- At least 0.25 hectares in size or capable of supporting five or more dwellings, and
- Available for residential development (meaning that there is no impediment to development in terms of either ownership issues or legal constraints on the land).
All sites must be ‘previously developed land’ as defined by the NPPF (2018) Annexe 2
East Devon District Council’s Brownfield Land Register
Registers are kept in 2 parts:
- Part 1 comprises of brownfield sites which meet the above criteria.
- Part 2 may comprise of housing-led sites which the Council also considers suitable to be granted ‘permission in principle’.
- At this stage no sites have been identified for inclusion in part 2 of the register.
Part 1 of the register includes sites that have planning permission, or are allocations in the adopted Local Plan. The register may also include relevant sites submitted through our Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment or which may otherwise be identified.
The Brownfield Land Register will be reviewed at least once a year and through ongoing refinement further sites will be added while others may be removed.
Submission of sites for assessment
If you wish to submit details of a site for assessment please complete and return the Brownfield Land Site Submission Form which can be downloaded here.
Submissions can be made by email or post. If you wish to email the form, you will need to save the form as a separate document on your computer once completed and then email to email@example.com
If you wish to post the form, you can print and send the completed form to Planning Policy, East Devon District Council, Knowle, Sidmouth EX10 8HL.
You will be notified when we receive your completed form, and following assessment of the site, on whether it is considered eligible for the register.
Submitted sites meeting the criteria will be added to the Part 1 of the register on a regular basis. Further information is provided on the form and is also available through the Planning Policy section.
Status of sites
The Brownfield Land Register does not affect the status of sites that already have planning permission or are allocated in the adopted Local Plan for development.
It should be noted that the inclusion of a site in Part 1 of the Register does not give any formal status, grant planning permission in principle or infer that planning permission will be granted for development.