3. What is the self-build and custom house building register?
The Government wants to enable more people to build or commission their own homes. From 1 April 2016 we have kept a register of people looking for land in East Devon on which to build their own homes. We have a duty to 'have regard' to this register in our planning, housing and regeneration functions and when disposing of any of our land in accordance with the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015.
Please note that the purpose of the register is to give us a general indication of the level of interest for self/custom build in East Devon, but there is no requirement for us to match permissioned land to individuals on the register (for more information on this see the Explanatory Memorandum to the The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding (Register) Regulations 2016.
The application form for entry onto the register now splits the required information into two sections.
Section A deals with national criteria for inclusion on the register.
Section B deals with local eligibility criteria we have set.
In order to be included in ‘Part 1’ of the register, the criteria set in both Section A and Section B of the form need to be met. This is important because the Housing and Planning Act 2016 places a duty on us to grant enough 'development permissions of serviced plots of land’ to meet the demand shown in Part 1 of the register (but not specifically for those on the register). Applicants who meet the criteria shown in Section A, but not in Section B will be included in Part 2 of the register. This will give us an indication of the overall interest in self-build in East Devon, although we will only need to meet the demand shown in Part 1.
To be included on Part 2 of the register, you need to:
- Be aged 18 or over;
- Be a British citizen, a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
- Want to acquire a serviced plot of land in East Devon for your own self-build or custom housebuilding.
To be included on Part 1 of the register you need to meet both the above 'national' criteria and the following 'local' criteria:
- you must be being a member of the regular armed forces as set out in Section 374 of the Armed Forces Act 2016 — UK Parliament. If you meet this requirement and the ‘national’ requirements you will be included on Part 1 of the register.
- you must wish to build a home to occupy as your sole or main residence
- you must have a permanent job in East Devon for at least 16 hours a week
- you must have lived permanently in East Devon and been on the electoral roll for at least three years