On Monday 4 January, the Prime Minister announced a new national lockdown to counter the steep rise in coronavirus (Covid-19) infections in England. The new restrictions became law on Wednesday 6 January.
As a reminder and In line with this guidance the Government have asked us to stay at home and only to go out for the reasons set out in law. More information about what is and isn't allowed is available on the Government’s website.
There is not yet specific guidance on how these restrictions apply to watersports, however we are following the best practice guidance announced by the RYA and British Kitesurfing Association and the position on the use of boats and watersports from our beaches and slip ways is as follows:
- You may engage in recreational watersports from our beaches or slipways as part of your daily exercise, so long as you do so following government guidance. This means only going to sea alone, with people you live with or members of your support bubble, or with one other person from another household.
- You must stay in your local area while undertaking the activity.
- Please also bear in mind that if you do get into trouble RNLI, Coastguard and emergency services crews will be putting themselves at risk to rescue you, so please make sure your craft and equipment are safe, and err on the side of caution when deciding whether to go to sea.
- When launching or landing, or interacting with other users on the water you should respect their social distance and stay at least two metres apart at all times.
- You should not stay overnight on your boat unless it is your principal and main residence, ie the place where you normally live. Also you should be aware that conducting general maintenance is not considered to be exercise, so you should not undertake this during lockdown on our beaches, moorings or boatyards.
Also note that Axmouth Yacht club have taken the decision to close for the duration of lockdown.
Organised watersports events, meetings, regattas and so forth are not permitted, and beach based watersports concessions will not be operating at this time.
This page will be updated to reflect the changing situation so you should check back regularly.