Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Guide Sidmouth Beach Management Plan: Frequently Asked Questions

Show all parts of this guide

13. Who will fund a Beach Management Scheme?

Funding for beach management projects from Government comes through what is known as Flood and Coastal Risk Management Grant in Aid (FCRMGiA) via a process administered by the Environment Agency. The amount of FCRMGiA a project is eligible for is linked to the predicted damages from flooding and coastal erosion, as well as the number of residential properties benefitting from a reduction in risk. This is known as the partnership funding calculator, as is required for any project seeking to utilise central government money.

Where the amount of FCRMGiA for an eligible project is less than the total cost of a scheme, the shortfall has to be made up through partnership contributions. Typically, partnership contributions are sought from beneficiaries of a project such as infrastructure owners (utility companies, highways authorities etc), local communities, businesses and developers. This is referred to as partnership funding.

All the BMS options currently being considered will require an element of partnership funding.