Guide Benefit FAQs

Show all parts of this guide

13. Can I include my childcare costs and what do I need to do?

Certain childcare costs can be disregarded. We can also include childcare charges if you are on sick leave, maternity leave or if one of a couple is unable to work. Conditions apply. The disregard is made as far as possible from earnings or self-employment, if the disregard is greater the balance is deducted from child or working tax credit.

Your provider must be a registered child-minder, nursery, play scheme, out of school hours scheme or other approved childcare provision. It does not include care provided by a relative unless they are registered.

The amount of childcare paid is averaged over whichever period (up to a year) gives the most accurate estimate of the charges, taking into account information given by the provider.

Tell us about any childcare costs when you make your claim. We will not include your childcare costs in your claim unless you provide the following information or if the information is unclear, we may contact you for clarification.

You need to complete our online childcare charges form

Your provider will need to complete a declaration form

You will need to complete a form for each child & childcare provider. 

If your childcare costs change or you start paying new costs you need to tell us immediately and complete our forms.  Complete the forms and send us an email to let us know you are notifying us of the change.

If you stop paying childcare costs, you need to tell us immediately. Please email  

A change in your childcare costs may cause changes to your entitlement and you may be overpaid benefit that you have to pay back. You need to tell us about anything that could affect the amount of benefit that we pay you within one month for Housing Benefit or 21 days for Council Tax Reduction. 

Civil Penalties may apply if you do not tell us about changes in time.