Guide Benefit FAQs

Show all parts of this guide

12. Why have my Tax Credits changed?

We receive automatic notification from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) of any change to your Tax Credits. 

They do not inform us why the change has happened. This could be due to a change in your income or family circumstances. 

Contact HMRC on 0845 3003900 or go online for more details.

Housing Benefit must be adjusted to take into account any changes in your Tax Credits and it is your responsibility to inform us of any reason for these changes.

Please note the HMRC forecast your Tax Credits based on the previous financial year, therefore any subsequent changes will affect how much Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction/Support you receive.  If your income goes up, compared to the previous tax year, or compared to an estimate you have already given HMRC, it is very important to tell HMRC to avoid being overpaid.