Guide Universal Credit

Show all parts of this guide

3. When you can still claim Housing Benefit

If you are working age and need help with rent payments you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit (UC) unless you fall into one of the following categories when you can still claim Housing Benefit:

  • you live in specified accommodation where care, support and supervision are provided or
  • you have reached pension age, you can check whether this applies to you by clicking on the link to the state pension age calculator; or
  • you are homeless and we have placed you in temporary accommodation; or
  • from 16 January 2019 you do not need to claim UC, nor can you migrate to UC, if you receive a Severe Disability Premium (SDP) in your Housing Benefit, Job Seekers Allowance (income-based), Employment Support Allowance (income-related) or Income Support.