3. When you can still claim Housing Benefit
If you are working age and need help with rent payments you will need to make a claim for Universal Credit (UC) unless you fall into one of the following categories when you can still claim Housing Benefit:
- you live in specified accommodation where care, support and supervision are provided or
- you have three or more children in your household and are not already claiming Universal Credit; or
- you have reached pension age, you can check whether this applies to you by clicking on the link to the state pension age calculator; or
- you are homeless and we have placed you in temporary accommodation; or
- from 16 January 2019 you do not need to claim UC, nor can you migrate to UC, if you receive a Severe Disability Premium (SDP) in your Housing Benefit, Job Seekers Allowance (income-based), Employment Support Allowance (income-related) or Income Support.