Guide Council Tax Reduction

Show all parts of this guide

4. Second adult reduction

Second adult reduction can help you pay less Council Tax if you have other people who live with you on a low income. They could be a relative or a friend (non-dependants) but are not:

  • your partner
  • paying you rent
  • liable to pay Council Tax themselves
  • a joint owner of the property

If you are entitled to Council Tax Reduction and second adult reduction, we will pay the one that gives you the most money.
The table below shows the amount of reduction as a percentage of Council Tax:

Second Adult Reduction 
Reduction as a percentage of Council Tax

Second adult on IS, JSA (IB), ESA (IR) or pension credit


Second adult’s gross weekly income less than £222.00


 Second adult’s gross weekly income £222.01 - £288.00


Second adult’s gross weekly income more than £288.01




To apply

Email or call 01395 571770 and we will send you an application form to complete and return to us. Please include your name, address, benefit reference.